Surrender of self-will

Surrender to God means surrender of self-will. This means that what I want is irrelevant. There is no ‘I’ to do the wanting. It means my needs are irrelevant to me. God satisfies them and gives me direction on what, if anything, I must do as part of His scheme. But such needs are not my business. I neither have boundaries nor lack boundaries. They’re not up to me. God tells me what to do and say. Some of those things might be construed by others as boundaries. But I needn’t concern myself with that. My life is not remotely mine. That’s the whole point of Step Three. It’s now God’s life, and I get given things to believe, think, say, and do. I’m the blank sheet of paper on which God writes. I cease to exist in the ordinary sense, as a drop of water in the ocean can no longer rightly be called a drop.

Comments