Worth and identity

Finally, there is your spiritual nature, your real eternal self; the true you, the I AM, the Indwelling Christ. This is your real identity, which is eternal. Almost everyone believes in its existence, but most people are very little conscious of it as an actuality. (Emmet Fox)

This is enormously helpful for two questions that so vex the modern person: so-called low self-worth and so-called identity.

I don't bother with having my own particular, personal worth. If the who I really am is my spiritual nature, the consciousness, the element of me that derives from the Eternal, I simply do not have a particular worth and certainly do not have a particular identity.

My worth is incalculable, my being a part of an invaluable whole.

My identity is that unfathomable consciousness attached to the Greater Consciousness and to the consciousness in others.

It's certainly not whether I like knitting or rugby, wear my hair short or long, find this or that person attractive, have ancestors from here or there, vote for this or that person, or consider myself belonging to this or that ephemeral, transient group. Those might bear on a few practical matters, but that's it. That would be an insult to my true self: to limit and box something so mercurial and expansive as consciousness into a tedious questionnaire with drop-down menus.

Solving the two problems of low self-worth an identity so swiftly will save one an awful lot of time, energy, and consternation.

The only price is the willingness to reject one's egotistical neurosis and instead adopt this radical and wholly wholesome point of view suggested by Mr Fox.

Comments