Decoding ACIM

Sometimes the workbook lessons of A Course In Miracles are set out in a non-linear way (i.e. they jump about), and the content is presented in a way that does not appeal or outright alienates. Theoretically, we should be OK with all language, but, if we're not there yet, we have to work with ourselves at the level we're at. For instance, some people find the idiom sappy and Hallmark-y and can't connect to it. All through the Course, the same material is presented in different ways. This means that we're free to substitute different words given for the same things in decoding and understanding the lessons.

I use the lessons as they're presented, but sometimes they don't go in unless I 'translate' them into language I can connect with and reorder the ideas in a way that I can follow and memorise. This is specifically not analysis or extrapolation: it's substitution and reordering, like cutting up food for kids so they can handle it.

For instance, I don't connect hugely to 'God' as 'Father' or to the wording 'the Son of God'. What is God? Spirit. What are we? Extensions of that spirit (see Chapter 11, for example, for the use of the term extension.) What is holiness? Wholeness and perfection: containing nothing it need not and lacking nothing. Armed with these translations, I can connect better to the lessons.

Here is an example. If these prove helpful I may publish more in future.

LESSON 248 Whatever suffers is not part of me.


W-pII.248.1. I have disowned the truth. 2 Now let me be as faithful in disowning falsity. 3 Whatever suffers is not part of me. 4 What grieves is not myself. 5 What is in pain is but illusion in my mind. 6 What dies was never living in reality, and did but mock the truth about myself. 7 Now I disown self-concepts and deceits and lies about the holy Son of God. 8 Now am I ready to accept him back as God created him, and as he is.
W-pII.248.2. Father, my ancient love for You returns, and lets me love Your Son again as well. 2 Father, I am as You created me. 3 Now is Your Love remembered, and my own. 4 Now do I understand that they are one.

My notes:


- The problem
- Believing falsity
- Denying the truth
- Switch this around:
- Deny falsity
- Believe the truth
- Suffering, grief, pain, and death are not part of me
- They are illusions
- What dies never lived
- I am a whole and perfect Extension of Spirit
- Others are whole and perfect Extensions of Spirit
- I am one with Spirit
- I am one with others
- This has always been true
- It remains true
- It will always be true
- The return to truth is but remembering

Comments