Some fallacies about selfishness

Just because I want something does not make that desire selfish. If the desire is placed in me, the desire is God-given. The question is: what does my mind tell me will fulfil that desire? The ego sets goals based on past learning, so its idea about what will fulfil that desire will necessarily be limited. The goal will be designed to bolster the ego as an image of me that is separate from God. The desire has a source in God but its channelling by the ego turns it sour. The aim: let go of my limited idea for how a desire will be fulfilled and allow the Holy Spirit to guide my mind and my actions down the path towards that fulfilment in the way He chooses. Furthermore: selfishness is not following an own desire; it is orchestrating others to play their role in its fulfilment. Right action is not about martyrdom. It is about the fulfilment of the spark of God-placed desire within me, for the good of all.

Comments