Freedom under one God

Placing self in the place of God as the centre and main objective of my life does not work: building a life based sex, money, power, prestige, comfort, thrills, and looks leads to frustration, fear, disappointment, and despair, with just enough bright spots to perpetuate the bankrupt system. Placing God in the place of self as the centre and main objective of my life literally frees up the whole afternoon. For what? Well, for love, obviously. What do you mean 'love'? Enjoying doing everything I do well for the sake of doing it well regardless of outcome; asking what I can contribute to life rather than what I can get out of it (because giving rather than getting is the guiding principle and, as my friend Brian once said, love is an action not a state); making the most of all of my human potential rather than just promoting my image in my own or others' eyes. Shackling one's life to God therefore represents freedom from slavery to the merciless, rapacious taskmaster of self.

Comments